I hesitated to turn the oven on this morning since it’s supposed to get up into the upper 80’s outside, but my love for chocolate got the best of me.
I chose to tweak a basic chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe I found over at allrecipes. I tweaked it for two reasons: 1. I wanted peanut butter with my chocolate and 2. I discovered I was all out of old fashioned oats! Nothing like some gentle encouragement to be creative! 🙂
Here’s my final recipe:
Peanut Butter Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (I always use Skippy.)
- 1 1/2 cups Old Fashioned 7-Grain Cereal (I used the Wheat Montana brand)
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips (The original recipe called for semi-sweet, but I never use those!)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in peanut butter, cereal and chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 11-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
*Note: With the addition of the peanut butter, you may find the dough a bit sticky, so if you don’t have one of those handy cookie ball scoops, you may want to put the dough in the refrigerator for a bit to make it a bit easier to handle.